Who is Thinking Big?
We are a group of smart, and committed business analysts, technical writers, front-end designers, software developers, testers, and project managers. Some say geeks, some say nerds. We are ok with either...or both. We provide digital consulting services to government and corporations but we also build products.
Our team help guide clients, getting stuff done. We also do our own software product development. Think of this side of the business as technology start-up incubation where you get to learn and practice using the latest tech and tools.
Passion + delivery
We believe that owning your work and claiming responsibility are keys to satisfaction at work. Thinking Big has many projects, and we're always looking for the best people. Join us.
Your experience might get you in the door, but your journey doesn’t stop there. We provide our big thinkers opportunities to learn and grow; to focus on who you plan to become. It’s a central theme to the Thinking Big way of life and business.
We want our work and our people to be better. Sharing ideas and communicating how we can improve is vital to our business. From code reviews to group discussions, we believe in an open environment where we can help each other grow and improve.
There is a n00b inside all of us, and this allows us to learn and grow. “I don’t know” is not a bad thing to say or hear. It’s the beginning of something new, and we all love to go from n00b to pro.
- Develop project charter and project plan that documents scope, resources, budget and schedule of the project. Collaborate with stakeholders and achieve consensus in identifying common approaches from multiple sources.Lead and participate in meetings/workshops.Define requirements from multiple divergent sources into one concise document meeting a collective need that encompasses all components including but not limited to: business need, system functionality, business processes, system architecture, system linkages, reporting, etc.Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies for implementation.Prepare plans, charts, tables and diagrams to assist in analyzing or displaying problems.Formulate statements of management and business problems; establishing procedures for the development and implementation of significant, new or modified computer systems to solve these problems and obtain approval.Draft, redefine, or evaluate Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), schedules, resources allocation matrices, organizational breakdown structures and other project control documents.Develop a transition plan that documents the flow of work within the department.Develop a training plan as well as training modules including products, for Department staff, using Department tools and methodology.Manage the project during the development, implementation and operations start up by ensuring the resources from all service areas are made available and that the system is developed and operating within the agreed time, cost and performance parameters.Report progress of the project on an ongoing basis, and at scheduled points in the life cycle to the sponsors of the project.Using cost and scheduling monitoring charts such as bar charts, program evaluation, and review techniques (PERT), or critical path method (CPM).Promote best practices and internal standards as defined by the Department.Provide the project office with input/updates for development, planning and other related activities.Meet project timelines.Provide weekly updates of tasks and issues.
- Display Thinking Big’s values of trust, teamwork, and accountability
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Post-Secondary degree, preferably in Business, Computer Science, or a related field
- Agile experience would be an asset - but not a requirement
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships
- Previous Technical Project Management experience
- PMP Certification an asset
- Experience/ability to manage the efforts of multi-disciplinary teams working with online services through their appropriate phases of standard lifecycles
- Experience managing projects using industry accepted methodologies to ensure quality of all project deliverables
- Reliability level Government of Canada Security Clearance an asset
- Priority status will be given to Canadian Veterans when they are equally qualified